Season’s greetings everyone!
We’d like to take this opportunity to wish you all a fabulous holiday season and a happy New Year!
Remember to take a moment away from your projects and work to spend some quality time with family and friends. Recharge your batteries for the exciting year ahead, and be safe. Remember, don’t drink and hyperspace! We want the whole crew to come back for the away missions to come.
We’ll be taking the next week off, so we’re signing out for the last time in 2016 and looking forward to seeing all of you again in 2017!
Adam has burst from his bonds and broken free from the coder’s dungeon to bring you this vital message.
After finishing updated conversation simulation, it was high time for a test environment for character trait generation and growth as well as how they respond to both generic challenges and conversations. Since these things happen at a rate that is too spread out to be practical for thorough testing in-game, it was important to have a test environment to simulate hundreds of events in seconds.
Dave and I talked through the next batch of designs to implement, including the updated resource systems, hull design and section jobs. In my spare time, I cranked out a simple secondary camera system that allows a few kinds of free-form movement. This is great for debugging as well as capturing gameplay footage in ways the standard camera rig just doesn’t allow. We’ve discussed leaving it in for players as a sort of “cinematic mode”, so they can create gameplay footage from their own playthroughs.
That’s enough. Back to the pit with you!
This week the resource/section system design and data was wrapped up. This provides for the “economic game” of Astrobase Command, where building and maintenance costs resources which all must be balanced, and also the properties of resources which interact with the module-parts that players put together to build their Astrobase. Included in this was balancing worker skills against the different jobs and duties.
This week I’ve been working Max in planning out a teaser-trailer for ABC and other marketing plans. Doing so has been quite enjoyable, it’s pretty similar to the regular art production for games but it lets me stretch a couple of additional muscles that’s been resting for a few years.
Bonjour à tous les amis de l’espace!
What Daniel said. We’re setting in place some of the all-too essential conditions for being noticed and heard when the time comes.
Also, you may have noticed that Adam is absent from this week’s update. Have no fear, he’s safe…because we’ve locked him in the code dungeon. He likes it there. Really.
This week I’ve continued my work on generating the visuals for the local star system. It’s looking to be pretty sweet once it’s finished.
Hey Space friends!
This week, I focused on completing character trait unlock/relock/mutations. As a result, I was able to work on updated character conversation code as well! Now that we’ve got these complex systems in play, I’m building a good test environment to allow me to see them operate over large time spans.
This week I worked on the skill-to-section-to-resource-to-points balance. Plan is to stay ahead of Adam’s coding velocity!
Greetings from the Administrotron Dimension,
This section of time-space has been devoted to employment of the devastating administrinatorerator. Only 1,200 papercuts were sustained in the process.
This week, I continued work on re-designed characters to include trait evolution! This allows hidden traits to unlock and known traits to change when characters are faced with difficult situations that challenge their beliefs. I still have a bit of work left to do before it’s ready to go, but the early results are really interesting!
This week I’ve continued learning how to write shaders. I managed to make a usable dot-matrix printer effect (which is what i needed) with my newly gained knowledge. I also started working on the second iteration of the generation of the local star system which is going to be pretty cool if everything comes together as I’ve planned. Which it should.
I’ve been busy administerizing some of the team’s administerativeness this week.