Inspiration: Alien Worlds

If you have any feedback, we'd love to hear from you!
Dev Team

Inspiration: Alien Worlds

Postby MaxShields » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Let's collect ideas here to help inspire the devs when they are looking for ideas to create brave new worlds to explore.

Here are a few for a start:

Lava Worlds

1. Hawaiian lava flows:http://www.weather.com/video/amazing-place-hawaiian-lava-flows-37320

2. Plosky Tolbachik volcano on the remote Kamchatka Peninsula in the far east of Russia (lava and ice, hot and cool all at the same time!): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9908916/Spectacular-eruptions-and-lava-flows-at-Russian-volcano.html

3. Lava and water: Image

4. Finnish ash cloud: Image

Chief

Re: Inspiration: Alien Worlds

Postby MilitantLobster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:30 pm

I mentioned this world briefly on the introduction thread; it's a world I built for a D&D campaign where one side perpetually faces the sun, the same way our moon only shows one side to the Earth. The planet was predominantly ocean with many small islands and one big island/small continent. Along the day/night line were always fierce storms and turbulent waters from the interchange of warm and cold fluids, making sailing there a dangerous proposition. Ocean currents moved enough heat energy across the barrier to prevent the far side from being completely frozen. The night side is cold and largely uncharted. An observatory sat on a small island near the day/night line to study stars. On further exploration the PCs discovered scattered islands covered in ancient ruins.

Another spin on this same theme (pun intended) would be a planet where the 'day' lasts a very long time (earth months or years). This slow rotation would mean that life would either have to be adapted to long summers followed by long winters, or be migratory, always on the run from the night.

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Speaking of alien worlds, will there be any enforcement of the Prime Directive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

Dev Team

Postby Adam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 pm

MilitantLobster wrote:Speaking of alien worlds, will there be any enforcement of the Prime Directive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

I'm sure Dave would be especially excited about that, given he's the resident Star Trek nerd. I definitely think that in the context of the kinds of interactions missions will bring about, we'll want "Prime directive" choices to be one possibility. But, keep in mind that the world of Astrobase Command is one of survival and sometimes isolation. So, it won't be easy to keep to such a moral code without making sacrifices elsewhere.

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:06 am

Just heard this story last night: Plate tectonics have been observed on Europa, one of Jupiter's moons. The awesome part? Europa is completly covered by ice 20-30 km thick; it's the giant plates of ice that are moving! http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/09 ... onics.html

Petty Officer

Postby TomTrustworthy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:15 pm

What I always thought was interesting is how moons of the gas giants are actually, in our system, too far away from the sun to be warm. BUT they are getting pulled and stretched so much by their host planet that the friction from the gravity will actually warm up the closest side of the moon.
as the moon rotates it warms up then cools as its on the back side then warms again. It sounded very interesting. I think this is actually why one of those popular moons.. Titan or something, will spray water out from the north/south poles. Because the friction warms up the ice and it escapes out those two areas.

Then i've heard that some planets/moons covered in ice might have a core warm enough to support large oceans under the crust of ice. If theres water maybe there are organisms that live in that water feeding off what ever minerals come from the core?

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 am

I also find that fascinating! Have you ever read the Space Odyssey series (2001, etc.)? One of the books explores the possibility of life in the oceans at Europa's core.

I believe Jupiter's volcanic moon Io also owes it's activity to the tidal forces enacted upon it by it's parent.

Petty Officer

Postby TomTrustworthy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:31 am

MilitantLobster wrote:I also find that fascinating! Have you ever read the Space Odyssey series (2001, etc.)? One of the books explores the possibility of life in the oceans at Europa's core.

I believe Jupiter's volcanic moon Io also owes it's activity to the tidal forces enacted upon it by it's parent.

The whole idea is awesome since gas giants are seemingly common and they will gather up some moons over time. So while you cant stay on the planet the moons could be just fine. And imagine that view, you see a huge gas giant and the sun?

Contributor

Postby Ethan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:37 pm

This is an awesome picture of the newly-landed-on comet:

Hauntingly awesome.

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Wow! I am still blown away by the achievement, so it is only right that I get so giddy when I see images from it. Thanks for putting it up!

Next

Return to Feedback/Suggestions