Moveable Modules

If you have any feedback, we'd love to hear from you!
Chief

Moveable Modules

Postby MilitantLobster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:27 am

I brought this up in the comments of an old blog post, but I wasn't sure if it would be read there. I think it would be cool to have the option to move an extant module to a different part of your base. Maybe your base has grown and you need to relocate your medical center to a more centralized location. Maybe your nuclear reactor should be further away from the elementary school. Why not take some of the pressure off of getting everything right the first time? We're in space after all, it shouldn't be too difficult to nudge some mass from one area to another!

In my mind, you would balance this fluidity of base design with reduced functionality. Moving a whole module takes time and during that time the module would be unavailable. You'd better have a backup! Another option would be a permanent reduction in efficiency if you have to move an entry. Moving a door from the ceiling to a wall or the floor might mean moving equipment around, possibly to a less optimal layout. Finally, you're adding an extra level of "construction" to the module. An opportunity fix something and make it right; an opportunity for something to go wrong!

Crewman

Re: Moveable Modules

Postby pattenam » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Are you thinking moving entire modules or moving equipment in modules? Is some/all equipment linked to its module so that you would have to move the entire module?

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:37 pm

I was referring to moving entire modules at a time. I feel like it would be simple to seal the bulkhead between the module you move and the main base, cut the connection between the two, and then float the module to it's new home using tiny attitude thrusters. Then you reattach it and open the door.

I hadn't thought of moving equipment between modules. If anything that might be harder. You'd probably have to disassemble large machinery to move it through the halls.

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Just had another idea relating to this: I think it would be cool to have the opportunity to remove equipment from a module and replace it with something new. That way you wouldn't have to build a whole new module just to implement some new tech you unlocked. I know there's a focus on old tech still being useful, and I like that, but this would be a nice option.

Dev Team

Postby Adam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:37 pm

MilitantLobster wrote:Just had another idea relating to this: I think it would be cool to have the opportunity to remove equipment from a module and replace it with something new. That way you wouldn't have to build a whole new module just to implement some new tech you unlocked. I know there's a focus on old tech still being useful, and I like that, but this would be a nice option.

While I like the idea of being able to disconnect and move around modules, the process of module construction makes it unreasonable to move around its contents. However, I don't have an objection to a feature to trash a module and recuperate some amount of resources to rebuild elsewhere.

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:53 pm

@Adam: I think that's a fair compromise! I can see how the equipment in a module would be so integrated to the structure that it would be difficult/impossible to remove. Recycling old parts definitely fits with the 'no waste' theme as well!

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:07 pm

Just saw this on Imgur and it reminded me of this nearly a year old thread: http://imgur.com/gallery/V6YDrdI

It's a gif of the construction of the ISS, how pieces were added and moved around over time. Keep an eye on the large solar array on top!

Dev Team

Postby Adam » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:22 am

That's really cool! I've really been warming up to the idea of being able to move modules around (for some meaningful cost). Given that when modules are built, they have a fixed configuration of doors in connectable directions, you can build yourself into some pretty inefficient configurations unless you really take the time to plan ahead of time.

So, being able to move them around over time means that you can course-correct later on. That's especially true is you want to maintain certain principles, like keeping reactors away from populated modules or whatever.

I mean, they're modules after all. It seems only logical that you should provide the means to reconfigure them, right?

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:28 am

I'm glad you're warming up to the idea! I know for a fact I'll wind up with some inefficient configurations, it'd be great to break them down and move them around for a low amount of cost (Compared to destroying and rebuilding).

I'd also be interested in seeing hexagon shaped modules as an option. I can't find a decent article at the moment, but hexagons are supposed to be very space efficient. There's a reason bees use them!

Crewman First Class

Postby Saosis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:45 am

MilitantLobster wrote:Just saw this on Imgur and it reminded me of this nearly a year old thread: http://imgur.com/gallery/V6YDrdI

It's a gif of the construction of the ISS, how pieces were added and moved around over time. Keep an eye on the large solar array on top!

Thanks for that link, MilitantLobster.
It made me itch even more to start playing Astrobase Command. :D

Return to Feedback/Suggestions