We need an Android

If you have any feedback, we'd love to hear from you!
Chief

We need an Android

Postby aunshi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:48 pm

perhaps with a pet cat, called stripe.

Not a major thing, one shouldn't be able to simply hire or construct an android. Possibly as a random, and rather rare, discovery on an away mission.

This android will have amazing skills and abilities. But have great difficulty with interpersonal relationships. decisions are made logically. But also the android will endeavour to emulate those around him, therefore he doesn't so much develop his own personality traits as much as learn the traits of those he works with.

How others react to him might be a problem however, depend on personality traits, species traits. Some will work well with the android, others might have issues. There might even be those who down right refuse to work with the android, even more who would refuse to work under the command of an android.

Here is a form of trade off, an android could make an excellent officer, but fitting him into a command structure could be difficult.

Dev Team

Re: We need an Android

Postby MaxShields » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:10 pm

An interesting idea, though it would have to be examined within the technological niche that the devs have in mind. If highly advanced technology is widespread (say like in Star Wars), then androids and robots will be very present. If they are scraping to get by and relatively high technology is rather rare, then androids may never have been developed or most of the robots of olden day may have broken down and been used for spare parts. In the latter case, I agree that finding an android as part of a mission (perhaps in an abandoned cache or a crashed ship) could be a neat adventure idea.

I suspect you are describing a near-human homologue when you talk about the android, and not a robot that happens to have the same general morphology as a human. In this case, it would be possible to mesh both instances together without having them interfere with each other in the storyline.

Having said this, if this is the path that is selected, I would be wary of simply cloning ST:TNG's Data by another name. I think there needs to be different dilemmas or at least additional dilemmas that are associated with such a character. Perhaps the android's memory or CPU has become corrupted over time or through damage and it has multiple personalities that are unaware of each other? Perhaps it is an ancient war machine that is on standby and awaits a single command that, unbeknownst to the rest of the crew, could spell the doom of all those around it? Perhaps it exists solely as a vector to infect an unwitting astrobase with a computer virus?

Crewman

Re: We need an Android

Postby Bjorn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Mechanoid races will probably be included for sure and you'll most likely be able to hire people from any race, if your own race bias allow it.

As constructing robots, I like it.. It's a cool ide but probably require some insane technology. So I would assume it's very difficult. Remember in Star Trek TNG, Data's positronic brain is very rare.

Return to Feedback/Suggestions