No dev update or crunching for alpha test release?

A place to ask and talk about Astrobase Command.
Chief

No dev update or crunching for alpha test release?

Postby daselk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:04 am

As per title. The absence of the usually prompt weekly update has me thinking.

Dev Team

Re: No dev update or crunching for alpha test release?

Postby Adam » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Hey!

This is my fault. I was waiting on people's updates on Friday, but forgot to actually post it later that evening. Then, life happened for the rest of the weekend. I'll roll our work from last week into this week's update so we can include screenshots of the latest work along with our descriptions.

We got some nice graphical stuff done so I think screenshots would be appropriate!

Dev Team

Postby Adam » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:54 pm

As for the alpha test release, everything is finally coming together enough that we are able to play the game internally! We've been toying with features and letting the build run for hours to see how it holds up and I've already gotten a bunch of bugs and usability issues to handle from Max, Daniel and Dave.

The two main hurdles that remain to having a full core alpha is the integration of the new mission tech (which closes the gameplay loop for us) and how to handle module connectors, the only missing piece to building in 3D in a functional way.

As soon as we've sorted those two things out, we'll have everything we need to start getting feedback from all of you! As always, thank you for your continued interest and your patience. We're working really hard to make this game as good as it can be and part of that is making sure we get the right kind of feedback at the right time.

Chief

Postby daselk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:02 pm

You think you can bribe us with a few screenshots?

How right you are.

Thanks for brief update on both fronts and looking forward to seeing some "nice graphical stuff."

I'm sure you've heard of Cities: Skylines by now, initially a very small dev outfit that has created something far superior to the king of the genre, simcity. My point, if done well, small teams can have great success.

Dev Team

Postby Daniel » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:39 pm

daselk wrote:I'm sure you've heard of Cities: Skylines

Nope, but somehow I managed to accidentally watch a bunch of streamers play it, then I managed to accidentally buy it and then I managed to accidentally play it and I accidentally had fun doing so. But yeah, well done by the guys at Colossal Order.

daselk wrote:looking forward to seeing some "nice graphical stuff."

Yes, I hope it isn't overly hyped already. I mean, I think it's a big deal, but I spend all day every day looking at it so it might be a bigger deal for me than for anyone else.

daselk wrote:As per title. The absence of the usually prompt weekly update has me thinking.

Crunching bad!
Or as http://gamasutra.com/blogs/PaulTozour/20150120/234443/The_Game_Outcomes_Project_Part_4_Crunch_Makes_Games_Worse.php shows, anything except brief (tops 2 weeks) of self imposed crunch periods make not only the workers life worse but also the product worse.

Contributor

Postby Ethan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:22 am

I just went through and reread the Game Outcomes Project, really interesting stuff! And I'm getting very excited to see how it's all coming together!

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:22 am

Crunchers will be swiftly beaten until the behaviour ceases.

:mrgreen:

Chief

Postby aunshi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:54 am

Looks like Aprils gonna be a very good month

Crewman

Postby Chris K » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:43 pm

I'm pretty excited that you are able to play the game now. Sounds like the alpha is drawing nearer.
Looking forward to your next update. They are always very insightful. It's great how you keep us up-to-date on the progress.

Dev Team

Postby Daniel » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:10 pm

Ethan wrote:I just went through and reread the Game Outcomes Project, really interesting stuff!

Yeah, it highlights what is well known within the industry. That common best practices are not applied and the result is that the workers and the product both suffer, its a lose/lose situation to do a death march.
But on the other hand, it's also important to take care of yourself. Since when you're working on a passion project it's super easy to just crunch away continuously and forget to take enough breaks to pace yourself. I mean, if you're working on a super small title like many mobile indies do, where the entire project is over in a week, its not that big of a deal. But when you get to larger projects that take more than a couple of weeks you really want to manage yourself well.

Next

Return to Astrobase Command Game Discussion