Games with good UIs?

A place to ask and talk about Astrobase Command.
Dev Team

Games with good UIs?

Postby Adam » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:49 am

Hey everyone! We're nailing down some things for our 3D desk user interface and it spawned a bit of a discussion about games we've played where the UI felt good. The first one that came to mind for me was Papers, Please. There's just something very satisfying about pulling out that stamp and stamping someone's passport on the work desk. I'm also liking what they're doing with Elite: Dangerous with the different screens in 3D that pop up when you look in their direction.

Can you think of games where you thought the UI was particularly pleasant? What felt good about them? How they looked, how they felt, how efficient they were in conveying functionality or information?

Contributor

Re: Games with good UIs?

Postby Ethan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:11 am

Jagged Alliance 2 had a decent, but excellently immersive UI. It's an early laptop where most things you interact with are through a browser-type program. The tactical UI is your typical tactical combat game, but in Strategic mode most interaction happens through a map and laptop.

Petty Officer

Postby TomTrustworthy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:13 am

The papers please UI was not just a great design but obvioulsy it was a gameplay element.

I don't think the same idea could be applied to ALL situations but if you would like a mini game to be present then yeah thats the way to go. Maybe each person can be doing their job like normal and would do the job at a 60% efficiency but if you actually went in and DID the job for them. You'd get this papers please type minigame where you could actually do much better or worse.

Chief

Postby daselk » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 am

For game UIs, the two mentioned are awesome. Love the style and functionality of Papers Please, even better on ipad as feels more immersive.

The laptop/internet UI for Jagged Alliance was sick, ordering soldiers and weapons online and getting game messages as emails to check.

I suppose the Fallout Pipboy was a cool UI for managing characters and maps etc.

Another cool game i backed is Dead State - uses a desk littered with stuff, papers and a notebook to manage characters/inventory and map etc

Hard to think of other effective examples off hand, will have to look through my collection and update if anything decent pops up.

Petty Officer

Postby TomTrustworthy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:43 am

Oh, The Forest has a great screen for inventory.
Just like a blanket with all the items you have scattered across it. Similar to the above post about a desk.

http://guides.gamepressure.com/forest/g ... 425701.png

Dev Team

Postby Daniel » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:02 am

TomTrustworthy wrote:Oh, The Forest has a great screen for inventory.
Just like a blanket with all the items you have scattered across it. Similar to the above post about a desk.

http://guides.gamepressure.com/forest/g ... 425701.png

Nice, i like that!

Petty Officer

Postby TomTrustworthy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Yeah I am trying to think how you could use that general idea. Maybe before going out on a mission. Have a table with all the supplies you can bring.. add items to the table then go on your way.

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:17 pm

Oh, that's awesome! In my head I was thinking more like Resident Evil where you have to fit all the icons into your pack: http://www.deltaattack.com/wp-content/u ... entory.png

I like Tom's idea much better. I'm envisioning the gun room scene from Boondock Saints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvV0SG4THJg (NSFW language, obviously). In game you'd have an armory, or at least a storeroom, with boxes, tables, shelves, pegboards, lockers, etc. filled with equipment. It would be cool to see the equipment UI change based on your facilities. You might start out with a few boxes in a storeroom, or a small locker and a table in a corner of the security office, then move up to the shiny, well organized armory after you build a dedicated equipment module.

It would be interesting if the NPCs put their equipment away after a mission and, depending on their commander, morale, etc. would either do a good or bad job of it. If they just threw stuff around you'd have a harder time finding what you want next time. You could post an armorer to keep things organized if you wanted. That might turn into boring and repetitive item management though.

"Alright, get your stupid f***ing rope."

Dev Team

Postby Daniel » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:46 pm

MilitantLobster wrote:"Alright, get your stupid f***ing rope."

I think you mean.... space-rope.

Petty Officer

Postby TomTrustworthy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 pm

MilitantLobster wrote:Oh, that's awesome! In my head I was thinking more like Resident Evil where you have to fit all the icons into your pack: http://www.deltaattack.com/wp-content/u ... entory.png

I like Tom's idea much better. I'm envisioning the gun room scene from Boondock Saints: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvV0SG4THJg (NSFW language, obviously). In game you'd have an armory, or at least a storeroom, with boxes, tables, shelves, pegboards, lockers, etc. filled with equipment. It would be cool to see the equipment UI change based on your facilities. You might start out with a few boxes in a storeroom, or a small locker and a table in a corner of the security office, then move up to the shiny, well organized armory after you build a dedicated equipment module.

It would be interesting if the NPCs put their equipment away after a mission and, depending on their commander, morale, etc. would either do a good or bad job of it. If they just threw stuff around you'd have a harder time finding what you want next time. You could post an armorer to keep things organized if you wanted. That might turn into boring and repetitive item management though.

"Alright, get your stupid f***ing rope."

Id say do it one way that immerses you into the game as you explained... but maybe later or at launch or what ever. Have it toggle-able, so you can see it the cool real way or have 'easy-inventory' ON and it show a grid or list view of the items.

I will say i enjoy when inventory is done in a realistic way. Where this Rifle wont fit in this shoe box.. it has to be stored on the gun rack or you can fit one into a large locker. So based on the real size of the item it will fit or will not.

Return to Astrobase Command Game Discussion