Any way we can give you money?

A place to ask and talk about Astrobase Command.
Crewman

Any way we can give you money?

Postby Tengill » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi!
I was one of the people that wanted to back this on kickstarter.
Are there any plans on creating some form of way for us to pay you for the game, even at this early point in development?

Crewman

Re: Any way we can give you money?

Postby Roversword » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:31 am

I'd like to second this particular question.
Is there another funding possibility in plan for the future?

Dev Team

Postby Adam » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:43 am

As you may know, we're on our way to Early Access some time early next year. We're not committing to a date just yet because until we get player feedback on the pre-alpha build, it'd be a wild guess.

We're not going to charge for a game that doesn't at least nail the core pillars of the experience. We'd be doing ourselves a disservice to make our first impression with a broken core experience. We need to get ourselves to a place where players can have some fun with the game and understand its potential.

We've considered putting a tip-jar or pre-order widget up on the website, but there's actually a good business reason not to do that. Since Steam evaluates the popularity of a game based on sales within a certain period, our best chance to get visibility inside the Early Access page is to have fans like you buy the game on Early Access launch day. Basically, we can all make a bunch of noise together at the same time and give ourselves the best chance that others will hear us.

What do you think?

Crewman

Postby rsdworker » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Adam wrote:As you may know, we're on our way to Early Access some time early next year. We're not committing to a date just yet because until we get player feedback on the pre-alpha build, it'd be a wild guess.

We're not going to charge for a game that doesn't at least nail the core pillars of the experience. We'd be doing ourselves a disservice to make our first impression with a broken core experience. We need to get ourselves to a place where players can have some fun with the game and understand its potential.

We've considered putting a tip-jar or pre-order widget up on the website, but there's actually a good business reason not to do that. Since Steam evaluates the popularity of a game based on sales within a certain period, our best chance to get visibility inside the Early Access page is to have fans like you buy the game on Early Access launch day. Basically, we can all make a bunch of noise together at the same time and give ourselves the best chance that others will hear us.

What do you think?

sounds good idea - so a pre beta access would be ideal for everyone who missed kickstarter period - example put donation pages in and people would buy the game ready for it

Chief

Postby aunshi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:53 pm

I would also like to clamour and make noise to find out when this pre-alpha testing is happening?

Crewman

Postby BiZZ Keryear » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:50 am

After I pledged to your failed campaign for 200CAD I only looked at it very sporadically ... especially since I only got an answer of a question made on kickstarter a whole year later...

Anyway I will probably miss the launch of your EA anyway ... and if I am really convinced by your product I will end up buying several copies anyway (I bought a few Minecraft ones, and over a dozen of Kerbal Space Program) ... but not all at once, though.
I usually buy spare copy when I feel like it (and I have still money left).

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:04 am

@BiZZ Out of curiosity, what do you do with the extra copies? You've got me wondering.

Crewman

Postby BiZZ Keryear » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:11 pm

I giving them away occasionally ... to spread the word* (pun intended).
Sometimes in events, sometimes if I come across someone who would not buy the game because of money reasons.
There enough people who are afraid of buying a early access because some of them had a bad press** and there are enough games out there that compete for the users money.
I like to give it to those that are interested but haven't enough money (to spend on a game they think is too risky to buy).
Well ... I also have the option to simply keep the keys until I find use for it.

P.S.: You should send an pre EA access to Scott Manley (https://youtube.com/user/szyzyg). He is in all sorts of space games and has a good coverage. If he decides that your game is good and he recommends it your EA launch is probably a success.

-----------
*= as in that the game is like a religion.... I am not converting anyone to any religion.
**= like Tim Schaefers "Broken Age" (was ridiculous overfunded in Kickstarter, run out of money in not even the middle anyway) or Spacebase DF-9 (also well funded had also relative good sales as EA game, run out of funds anyway and was dropped). As long as I am concerned ... as long as I get a game with reasonable content which hasn't (m)any game breaking bugs I am satisfied. Well Scott Manley (https://youtube.com/user/szyzyg) made a kowtow to his audience for having recommended the game.

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:54 am

It sounds like you have a big heart, so I'm glad to have you aboard!

Thanks for the recommendation about Scott Manley, that's a great idea.

Dev Team

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:54 am

I love this thread! :lol:

I tried to answer this question a bunch of different ways, and I guess I eventually landed on the truth of the matter.

The short answer is: we are all gamers. We have all purchased games on steam early access for $15 based on the promise that what we see of the game in that state is 5% of the finished product. Two years later, it's still 5% done. Or pledge money to a kickstarter which ends up being wildly successful, and 2 years after the advertised ship date there's still no game. Which is also to say every single one of us has been burned. There are some very complex and industry-specific reasons why this keeps happening (and will continue to happen until players who do spend money at the EA/Kickstarter phase get to see behind the game development veil).

Getting into that is a bit beyond the scope of this question.

But the core truth is that we want to make sure people who give us money get value, because we as gamers want value from the companies we give money to! Right now, if we hit some giant tech hurdle or need to spend an extra 6 months the only people we're burning are ourselves. We plan to go into early access Very Soon (tm) but to be honest there's a lot of experimental features in Astrobase Command that nobody else is even attempting. In fact, that's most of the core game. This means the project has a considerable amount of risk, but life imitates games in the sense there is a corresponding reward if we do it right. And that risky-but-rewarding game is our vision, both in the business sense... and for the actual game.

So why not take money? The way kickstarter works is that if you are under the "amount" you have no obligations & people get their money back, which is where we ended up. The "amount" needs to be large enough to accommodate the risk of the project. However, if we took $20 dollar pre-orders now (for example) there wouldn't be enough to add up to the mitigates-risk-"amount" but we'd still have customers. Our most loyal/core fans would essentially have to eat their pledge/purchase if things didn't go as planned. That's not fair.

The fact is, I completely disagree with companies who use their fans to subsidize their product's risk through EA purchases and crowdfunding by low-balling or otherwise being unrealistic about their dev costs. I feel like that's a dishonest thing, and we would also be hypocrites if we did that. Much like Astrobase Command, the real world features permadeath (as far as we know!) and you don't get a respawn/do-over for any regrettable behavior you are responsible for in your life. We have a game with a very specific vision and either we can pull it off or we can't. Obviously, we're betting our entire life savings that we can (when you are over 30, that's a big deal!). But I don't want to have any regrets because I convinced our fans to go in with me on that bet, in the unfortunate case.

Hope that wasn't too out there.

Next

Return to Astrobase Command Game Discussion