Weekly Vlog

A place to ask and talk about Astrobase Command.
Chief

Re: Weekly Vlog

Postby aunshi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 pm

I suppose if this is a weekly thing you'll need more questions....

Whats the capacity for relationships and romance? Do characters form friendships and deeper connections to each other? Do these effect their moods? Do they even have moods? Will a character make a different decision regarding a situation if the situation involves a friend or lover? Do people who often work together form working relationships which help/hinder there performance?

Will there be terrorists? Separatists? Xenophobic elements who don't like aliens on the station?

Is there a population cap? How much of a computers performance will go into simulating the characters and there interactions?

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi everyone! We've posted the first edition of the vlog on Youtube. You can find it at http://youtu.be/dASOgtpUj6g.

Keep those questions coming!

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:35 am

All right, we've managed to improve the sound on that first vlog entry. It still isn't perfect, but at least you won't be screaming your way down to the audiologist (they're pricey in space, too) while trying to listen to this version: http://youtu.be/r7XWU8Q-pjY.

Chief

Postby daselk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:49 am

Right, just listened to the clean version of the vlog and made it right through, some excellent information and good insight.
Loved the fresh ideas about a dynamic tech tree, been wanting something like that in a game for a long time.

Questions for next week.

Considering this is a real-time game, will there be pause and time compression buttons? I always play Total War games without pausing as it is far more challenging and to me rewarding. However if there is some weird/slow manoeuvering I like being able to accelerate time

What level of control does the player have in combat situations such as base invasions? Is it x-com style action points - move here, shoot this etc or do I "task" units to defence wherupon they automatically hunt and kill invaders?

Will the astrobase be confined to one joined structure or can you maintain multiple bases in different sectors?

Will there be an option to zoom into a unit on the base and into first person pov? If so will it support oculus rift? (not serious)

Look forward to the vlog next week and some sneek peeks of early gameplay or development ;)

Chief

Postby aunshi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Wll there be certain weapons which will be suited to "experienced characters" only. Not because of "you must be level 4 to use this weapons" but becuase there are disadvantages to using it that less experiecned crew won't be able to compensate for.

For example; the GW game Necromunda had a plasma pistol. The plasma pistol had superior range and power companed to other pistols, but came with a -1 'to hit' modifer and was therefore not easy to use for those with a low ballistic skill simply due to the abysmal chance of hitting anything (better to hit with a weak weapon than miss with a strong one). Fighters with higher end balistic skill could compensate for this to the extent that the weapons increased power and range became more significant than the decrease in accuracy.

Just wondering if something similar could be implemented in Astrobase command.

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:57 am

Our 2nd video update is now up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b6AIYcHsn0

We answer three questions:

1. Will there be random crime on the station? Will characters be able to investigate it? (0:21)

2. How animated will characters be? (3:34)

3. Who are the characters? Where do they come from? How do they fit into the galactic neighborhood? (6:36)

Chief

Postby daselk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:27 pm

So many awesome ideas, if half of them come to fruition this will still be an amazing game.

I really can't comprehend how the storyteller AI will be programmed, I can only imagine thousands of nestled IF statements, it will be something unique in gaming.

Love the idea of creating a citiadel, whooing alien races with my magnificence

The intro/outro added a professional touch also but still waiting for some more art ;)

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 pm

Thanks for the good words!

Really glad to hear that the update added some spice to things for you. Since finding the balance between getting things done for the game and getting information out to all of you in a timely fashion is a tricky thing, you'll find that the updates will improve and evolve with every iteration.

We're working on getting art out to everybody, but right now it's all WiP stills, which wouldn't really work for video updates of this length. The stills will come out over the next few text updates. We're also getting close to the point that we're going to be bringing Daniel's new art into the game, which will let us capture some gameplay footage that will be suitable for the vlog updates.

Chief

Postby aunshi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 am

Will there be mental powers? Telepaths? Empaths? Psychers?

I'd image they'd make good investigators. Also dangerous enemies/criminals.

Chief

Postby aunshi » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 am

Its occured to me that this is becoming my own personal sggestion thread, where i pose a suggestion in terms of a question and await the vbog to either endorse my ideas or slap them down. It seems my attempts at posing hardcore journalistic questions is turning into a narcissistic monologue

PreviousNext

Return to Astrobase Command Game Discussion