Race Creation

A place to ask and talk about Astrobase Command.
Chief

Race Creation

Postby MilitantLobster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:45 pm

I was wondering what races people are excited to make. This can be existing races from various franchises or something of your own creation. What traits and skills will you focus on, and what will you nerf? I put this thread here because our thoughts might help the designers refine the race creation system.

For me: Kerbals from Kerbal Space Program.
Kerbals would be bipeds with low intelligence. Probably lots of points in the scavenger and erratic categories. I think I'd give them hivemind as well.

Dev Team

Re: Race Creation

Postby MaxShields » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:23 am

Or maybe some of these? :D

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:10 am

Lets see... High social, high variance. Points in populace, erratic, and scheming (minions seem to be pranksters). Maybe some points in regen too, they seem like they can take a beating pretty well. What do you think?

Dev Team

Postby MaxShields » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:03 am

@Militant: I like! Clearly some DM experience in your background.

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:22 am

@MaxShields I have done some Dungeon Mastering, I really like world building too!

Questions, notes, etc. regarding races:

1. Different art styles for the desk and other objects could distinguish the different race types.

2. Environmental control systems: What use does an aquatic race have for air? Would their modules be completely flooded with water or are they amphibious? If the Astrobase is flooded would other races have their own airlocked quarters, complete with scuba gear for when they go to other areas? Not a problem for homogeneous societies, but if you hire or have visitors of other races then it becomes an interesting issue. Must they wear an enviro-suit at all times in your base, do they have safe areas, can the two live side by side?

3. What is the meaning of a "mech" race? Are we talking pure machines or races with both biological and cybernetic components?

4. Most of the "Body Types" make sense to me, but "biped" and "blob" seem out of place. Any of the other options could combine with body types of biped, blob, quadraped, snake, octopus, crab, whatever. Depending on how in depth the designers want to get, I would say either remove biped or make separate sliders for "Body Type" (biped, blob, etc.) and "Xenomorphic Class" or something similar which would include crystal, aquatic, reptile, mech, bug, rock, etc.

EDIT: Made #1 make more sense. Gotta stop writing these at 2AM.
Last edited by MilitantLobster on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crewman

Postby Mogg » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Unsure what to make of that Body Type switch.
There is listed 2 different things on that switch. One which determines number of legs, the other determines biology.
You know, a biped is anything that has two legs? So reptile is four legs? That would mean it is a quadruped.
This is what I am meaning.

My suggestion:
Separate them. Legs are cosmetic. If your intention is to have ALL species bipedal (meaning it has two legs), then remove this entire customization option.
Biology is cosmetic but may bring with a few other random events.

**Legs**
Quadruped, three legged, Biped, Serpentine, None (selectable only for blob biology and floating/levitating species).

**Biology**
Mammal, Reptilian, Arthropod, Arachnid, Amphibian, Fish, Avian, Plant, Blob, AI, Mineral, Liquid, Energy.

Dev Team

Postby Adam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:26 pm

We're currently focusing on the bipedal humanoids but we wanted to present some different body types to see how it resonated and what people would do with them. It's one of the ways that we thought of that would allow us to expand of people's fantasy fulfillment space. But we haven't locked down any specific non-humanoid type for the moment.

So, what kinds of non-humanoid races would you like to see in the game?

Chief

Postby MilitantLobster » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:25 pm

I think my top two non-bipedal types would be slug/serpent (Jabba the Hut) and crab/spider (carapace, numerous segmented legs).

What I would really like to see though would be two sliders (or one of those multi-stop switches, since we're talking discrete options instead of a continuum), one for body type and another for biology, like Moog was talking about. This would allow a multitude of alien races with just two simple choices.

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, I'm no programmer. I feel like the body type slider would provide the computer with a 3D model of the race type and the biology slider would put a texture on top of that model.

Chief

Postby daselk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:20 pm

I know I always enjoy a cyborg/AI race bent on self-improvement and annihilation of those inferior. Yor from Galciv, Geth from MassEffect even the Cybernetics from Alpha Centauri. Plus you can use/modify humanoid shapes and just re-skin.

Crewman

Postby Mogg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:48 am

Yes. MilitantLobster has the gist of what I was talking about. Body + skin 2 different sliders. Even if you only allow for bipeds, having it as a slider for future possible models would be grand. Otherwise everything is should be by default a biped (but biped is not a species, and never will be).

Well. if you want to get unimaginative like Star Trek and Star Wars...
Human with different skin colour, human with animal head, human with scales/fur/skin/plates, human made of crystal/rock, human made of plant, human made of gas/fire/energy, Human with different shaped ears, human with fins/wing/tentacles/warts/horns/claws/hooves/spines, human that is skeletal/insectoid/robotic ... yes I call this unimaginative. It is easy to work with, but really, really unimaginative. From this massive list provided here you should be able to come up with quite a range of species. Only thing they need then is some background.

Just to give examples:
Avian - bipedal feathers race with beaks. Can be any colour.
Reptilian - bipedal scaly race. Based on crocodile/alligator or lizard. Coloured green, brown, grey or red.
Amphibian - bipedal hairless race. Axolotl or frog based. Can be any colour.
Minotaur - bipedal cow/bull race.
Locust - bipedal race, with exoskeleton, wings, antennae. Can be any colour.
Ant - Bipedal race, with exoskeleton, antennae, mandibles ... the whole any idea. Can be any colour.
Feline - Bipedal furry race. Appearance depends on the species of cat it is based on.

Next

Return to Astrobase Command Game Discussion