Modding Ideas

A place to ask and talk about Astrobase Command.
Crewman

Modding Ideas

Postby beason4251 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Since I am already thinking about modding, I figured I'd throw out some ideas. Given how early AC is in development, the most I can do is general concepts. Tell me what y'all think.

Hostile Sector
Your base is an unwelcome intrusion into this sector. Expect a welcoming party soon.
Diplomacy will be difficult, and often fail even in the best of circumstances. Unhappy races are likely to send attacks. It is possible to get on their good side, but it will be a long and challenging balancing act.

Economic Regression
This sector has fallen on many economic hardships.
The idea is that a poor economy will make things difficult. Not sure yet how this will take form. I want it to be more interesting than changing costs.

Last Stand
A Lovecraftian horror has been unleashed into the universe. How long will your base survive?
Problems and enemies come soon and often. They scale to become worse with time. I see this as a Dwarf-Fortress mode: your base will be destroyed eventually, but the absurd situations that occur along the way are part of the fun.

Reclaim
Astrobase [name] has gone dark. Find out what happened, and get things up-and-running again.
You start out in either a previously-lost or a randomly generated base. Aliens have completely infiltrated the base, and you have to take it back. This will be heavy on squad combat. I want to flesh this idea out so the challenge is more than just a battle, but also about interesting aspects of base-management.

Poor Recruiting
It's not that we have too few applicants...
Every crew member begins with at least one negative trait (If there aren't enough for variety, I'll make some). Any vanilla negative traits are amplified.

Dev Team

Re: Modding Ideas

Postby MaxShields » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am

Those are some great ideas!

beason4251 wrote:Reclaim
Astrobase [name] has gone dark. Find out what happened, and get things up-and-running again.
You start out in either a previously-lost or a randomly generated base. Aliens have completely infiltrated the base, and you have to take it back. This will be heavy on squad combat. I want to flesh this idea out so the challenge is more than just a battle, but also about interesting aspects of base-management.

I particularly like your Reclaim concept. It has a certain sense of Deathwing to it.

Petty Officer

Postby PensiveElephant » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:23 pm

That would be interesting - the whole game being about exploring a huge starbase and learning about its functions and technology.

If there is one thing I'd love to see is the ability to mod stories for the AI storyteller to use. Wouldn't mind an editor for that ;).

Crewman

Postby beason4251 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:48 pm

PensiveElephant wrote:That would be interesting - the whole game being about exploring a huge starbase and learning about its functions and technology.

If there is one thing I'd love to see is the ability to mod stories for the AI storyteller to use. Wouldn't mind an editor for that ;).

I think you're right - that's how to make it a long experience. There'd be a lot of material to draw from - Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe come to mind. Here's hoping the modding tools and API are extensive enough to do that. Also, that computers can hold up under the pressure from very large bases. Depending on how extensive sector/base interactions are, it might be possible to make a Stargate Universe feel by changing to a new sector every once in a while.

Crewman First Class

Postby Rat Patrol » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:12 pm

beason4251 wrote:
PensiveElephant wrote:
........ and Stargate Universe come to mind.

I really enjoyed that series too bad it was so short lived ...

.... a commander and 2 Lt. maybe a couple of sgts
.... you have a bunch of red shirts - basic tasks - go here flip this switch - but smart enough to be trained .5x longer than Scientist to learn
... a narcissistic Scientist who can unlock Alien Tech
... and his genius side kick - that can do things in 1.5 - 3 x as long as the head scientist with a slightly greater failure rate -25% penalty
... some other techie types - specialized not a J of A Trades like main sci
Alpha Supporter:
Endless Space
The Dead Linger
Firefall - Founder Level Supporter
Dead State
Star Force
Kinetic Void
Kenshi
Door Kickers
DayZ
Elite Dangerous