DF-9

A place to ask and talk about Astrobase Command.
Chief

DF-9

Postby aunshi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Well, you wait around for a space station building and simulation game and two pop up at once.

The reason I bring this up is because nobody from wither camp seems to be acknowledging the other. Hell, even Rockpapershotgun, which has posted articles about both games, has failed to draw the comparison. I guess I'm looking for some kind of comment from the team about a rival game which seems to follow the same concept. will their be significant differences (other than, say, the artwork).

Personally I'm holding off the early access of DF-9, partially because I think £18.99 is rather a lot for an early access game, but also because I want to wait and see which game will turn out to be better. Only time, and fully finished products will tell.

Dev Team

Re: DF-9

Postby MaxShields » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:46 am

Hi Aunshi,

There was some info posted about this elsewhere in the forums. You can find it here: http://www.astrobasecommand.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=112.

I'm not a member of the Jellyfish dev team, nor have I had a chance to get my hands on DF 9, so you'll have to take my comments with a grain of salt. However:

1. Companies in general tend not to acknowledge others' endeavours since it can get them into all kinds of legal troubles. It's just not worth the risk, so they'll stay in their own sandbox and talk about what they know rather than surmise what others are doing and risk getting the competition mad at them and dragging everybody into a world of hurt that is not helpful to anyone involved. This is probably no different for game devs;

2. Double Fine is known for its quirky adventure games. From what I have seen of DF 9's announcement video, I'll bet it bears many similarities with Middle Manager of Justice (http://www.middlemanagerofjustice.com/). While there are characters involved, I expect they will be closer to the "stat containers" that the devs here have referred to in the past. That's not a bad thing, but is simply a suggestion that the game is likely to be about grinding through events to get better stats and base improvements than developing a deep personal tie with the characters as is the aim for Astrobase Command.

I agree that with time we'll be able to better tell what differentiates the two games. Who knows? Both could turn out to be a blast to play even though they cover the same general theme.

Dev Team

Postby Adam » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Hey Aunshi! Thanks for the comment on RPS! You got us a few hundred new hits on the site as a result!

I'm glad that Double Fine (and others) are working with similar themes, as we're currently going through a sci-fi game boom and I'm glad we're a part of it, both as developers and players! That said, we believe that we differentiate ourselves from Spacebase DF-9 in fundamental ways and hope to provide an entirely different experience.

Crewman

Postby VorgonMofo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:59 am

DF-9 is like theme hospital but way more buggy. I don't like it as much.

But this game looks different, it feels more like unique. But I haven't seen gameplay. It will depend on how it handles. If its RimWorld in space with deeper mechanics maybe some like *cough* http://wiki.ss13.eu/index.php/Main_Page *cough* it'll probably be my top 5 best games played.

Remains to be seen though.

Crewman

Postby Evmeister » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:49 am

Well Astro is going to be in 3d so there's that difference.

Crewman

Postby Majeluma » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:42 am

Ok Starbase DF-9 Seems very basic at the moment... Still in Alpha ok... But i still didnt see any story arcs that are a main factor in Astrobase. Also when one of my crew died the first time i was like, 'oh no my builder died'... Uh... Yea... so Name... um... nope... this kept happening. Zero personal conection to the crew members other than thier stats... Astrobase looks like it will actually be able to overcome this depersonalization of our virtual Sandbox comunities. I only hope that they do.

Dev Team

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Majeluma wrote:Ok Starbase DF-9 Seems very basic at the moment... Still in Alpha ok... But i still didnt see any story arcs that are a main factor in Astrobase. Also when one of my crew died the first time i was like, 'oh no my builder died'... Uh... Yea... so Name... um... nope... this kept happening. Zero personal conection to the crew members other than thier stats... Astrobase looks like it will actually be able to overcome this depersonalization of our virtual Sandbox comunities. I only hope that they do.

That's definitely our plan! And why we're personally very excited Astrobase Command. :)

Crewman First Class

Postby Rat Patrol » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:28 pm

MaxShields wrote:1. Companies in general tend not to acknowledge others' endeavours ....

how many Zombie Survival Sand Box games are there now ..... 18 months ago is was mostly The Dead Linger ...
Alpha Supporter:
Endless Space
The Dead Linger
Firefall - Founder Level Supporter
Dead State
Star Force
Kinetic Void
Kenshi
Door Kickers
DayZ
Elite Dangerous
Star Citizen
Centration

Beta Player:
Diablo III
Defiance
Firefalll - Founder
TESO

Dev Team

Postby Max Shields » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:45 am

Indeed, and welcome to the forums. I see you're already tearing into things, so glad to have you aboard!

Crewman First Class

Postby Rat Patrol » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Max Shields wrote:Indeed, and welcome to the forums. I see you're already tearing into things, so glad to have you aboard!

Thanks Max ....
Alpha Supporter:
Endless Space
The Dead Linger
Firefall - Founder Level Supporter
Dead State
Star Force
Kinetic Void
Kenshi
Door Kickers
DayZ
Elite Dangerous