Weekly Dev Update – June 24th, 2016

Posted on June 24, 2016 by Max Shields

Nous ne pouvons manquer cette occasion pour souhaiter une bonne Saint-Jean-Baptiste à toutes et à tous!

And now for something completely different:


Hey everyone!

This week was dominated by yet another move, as well as a bunch of urgent admin work. I did spend a bit of time on mission planning with the selection of constellations, systems and planets, but more on that later.


Hi guys!

This week I continued work on the section lights script. Still nothing to show you, maybe next week. For those who celebrate it, happy midsummer!


Hey guys,

I finished going through my wordlist and putting all the words “on the board” so to speak, and now I’m finalizing my traitflag definitions by associating them with wordthemes.

Weekly Dev Update – June 17th, 2016

Posted on June 17, 2016 by Daniel


Hey Guys!
Finishing up the first pass on word organization into the word bank, did a bit of work on mission structure, and preparing for (my part of the task) when we hook up the traits to the on-station AI events! Also explored a bit of an idea I had about how character personalities can evolve over time.


Hi Everybody!
This week I’ve been working on the section lights script. It’s a script that changes the lights between states, like normal or emergency or alarm. In addition to that it also handles stuff like brownouts from not having as much power on the station as you need and maintenance related light failure/flickering.
I’ll show you the results when it’s at a more complete state than it currently is, maybe next week!

Weekly Dev Update – June 10th, 2016

Posted on June 10, 2016 by Daniel


Hey everybody!

I spent the better part of the week dealing with company admin tasks while coordinating a last-minute move out of my apartment. Looking forward to getting back on missions!


Greetings inhabitants of this parallel dimension!

I’ve been busy examining methods to assist us in community management and handling our social media presence. I’ve been giving the trial version of several services a spin to see whether they provide any insight or utility beyond that which is available through Twitter’s own analytics tool.

While some services we’ve tested have rated a solid “meh”, a few have caught our eye and have allowed us to easily tend to some much needed housekeeping on the our social media front.

The conundrum is that the truly useful services are a bit pricey for a small team such as our own, but even the smallest of Indie Devs has to consider how they will get word out about their highly desirable product.

So while we do not yet have a firm decision of which product to use, this testing is helping us understand some of the issues at play and their importance on our growing endeavour.


Hey guys, still working through the dictionary same as last week! Fallen into a good pace with it.


Hello humans, more work on sections for me this week.

An early WIP shot of a Shunt shunting away unabashedly.

Weekly Dev Update – June 3rd, 2016

Posted on June 3, 2016 by Daniel


Hi Everybody!

Still going through the list of 6000 words while building the word bank. Generally refining some of the guts of the trait system. Also spent some time figuring how character personality can evolve over time using the mathematics already present in the trait system. Asked myself a lot of questions about free will, since if we want characters to behave as people it helps to have an opinion on how humans in this universe work.


Hey Guys,
This week I’ve put more time into making more sections. It feels at times like I’m a broken record stating that, but theres a lot of work that goes into making all of them and it’s not like they will make themselves. That’s pretty much it for me, talk to you again next week.

The slightly large capacitor capacitating the capacitance.


Hello fellow humans!

I will share my week, like humans do! This week was dominated by mission planning work. Since it’s an all-new program, it required a bit of iteration before we got it right.

There are a fair number of decisions to make when planning a mission (assigned mission controller, which transport to use, the destination planet, the team, their mission gear) and we wanted the player to be able to decide each element in whatever order they saw fit. I’ll include a screenshot of the program once it’s done.

Weekly Dev Update – May 27th, 2016

Posted on May 27, 2016 by Daniel


Hey everybody!

This week was spent working on the mission datapad program. It involves mission planning, listing ongoing missions with their status and having an archive of past mission reports.

The funny thing about UI work is that the underlying logic is generally pretty simple. It’s getting the user experience right that takes the most time. What is critical to communicate to players and in what order? What does this mean for the layout? A screen packed with too much information can be intimidating and unpleasant. However, spreading that information over too many separate screens can make it difficult to see the whole picture and make informed decisions.

Luckily, player feedback usually helps with this challenge. We can implement the simplest version with all the features represented and then see how well people understand things, analyze their decision making process. I’m really looking forward to having that dialogue with the community.


Hi Everyone!

Towards the end of this week I’ve been working on making more sections. Specifically I’ve been looking at ones related to the power game.

However, the week started with tweaking the smoothness of the skin texture generation presets. That then had knock-on effects where I needed to tweak the lights in our “photobooths” where we render previews for species creation and other things. The smoothness (as part of a metallicity/smoothness PBR specularity setup) helps define the internal volume and shapes of a mesh as it’s struck by light.